Photos by Rick Dennis / Glacier City Gazette
Portage Valley, Portage Lake and the surrounding wetlands offer scenic views year-round. The area can sometimes be
overlooked as a destination since it is the gateway to Whittier and the Kenai Peninsula.
Clockwise from upper left:
1. Placer River, Portage Creek and Twentymile River flow into Turnagain Arm.
2. The Chugach Explorer arriving at the Portage depot with Explorer Glacier in the background.
3. Byron Glacier Valley
4. Seward Highway crossing Placer River with Portage Valley in the center
5. Placer wetlands, Skookum Glacier, and Carpathian Peak
6. Portage Valley and Portage Creek looking west
7. Portage Lake from Roost Peak