On the Trail with Team Petit
Clockwise from Top Left
1. (L-R) Team Petit’s Lead Handler Tyler Schmitt and Nic Petit give the dogs that won the 30th annual Copper Basin 300 some love. Petit’s team won last year’s race as well.
2. The sign at the finish line
3. Team Petit takes the turn down the Chistochina airstrip and into the checkpoint after crossing the Tok Cut-Off HWY.
4. Nic Petit checks into Meier’s Lake.
5-7. Petit’s sled dogs rested in straw at Sourdough Checkpoint for five hours before a 55-mile run to Lake Louise, where he was the first musher in by 24 minutes.
8. Petit’s dogs spent a warm night indoors before the race since it was -39 degrees F. outdoors.
9. On the trail to Chistochina
10. Petit waits in line to enter the starting chute as Race Official Peter Reuter stands by. Musher’s sleds are hooked to an ATV to prevent teams from accidentally starting.