By Stephanie Drescher
Special to the Glacier City Gazette
The dry heat, a forest of saguaros, blistering sands and cunning scorpions were the familiar backdrops of my life. The desert has its own unique beauty and will always own a chamber of my heart, but it never took my breath away.
In July of 2016, as I followed the highway to the town of Girdwood and Alyeska Resort, I felt as if my senses had been jolted awake and a feeling of home washed over me. I thought, “I want to live here.”
Now, thanks to a great stroke of luck and Alyeska Resort I get the chance. Born and raised in Phoenix, Ariz., I am a graduate of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and have several years of corporate marketing experience. I have always loved to tell stories and spend a lot of time outside.
Possessing a nomadic nature, I have traveled a bit, including South Africa and Mexico, enjoying the journey and searching for a new home. As Alyeska Resort’s new social media events coordinator, I am happy to now call Alaska home. I have much to learn and promote about Alyeska Resort and this beautiful town. I cannot wait to get started.
Here are the highlights of the upcoming events I am most excited about:
- July 15th – The Alaskaman Extreme Triathlon – This first-time event is boasted as “one of the most challenging and breathtaking extreme triathlons on Earth.” It features a 2.6-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and a 27-mile run. The finish line will be waiting for the winners at Alyeska Resort.
- July 15th – The Whiskey Richards – The band that describes themselves as “the champagne of honky-tonk” will be playing at the Sitzmark Bar & Grill. There are few things better in life than live music and supporting the local community. This should be a toe-tapping, fun-filled night.
- July 22nd – The Alyeska Enduro – This event features a 6.5-mile loop consisting of three downhill timed segments linked by uphill segments that are not timed. Looking forward to watching many dialed-in riders enjoying the amazing bike trails on the mountain.
- Tuesdays, (Until Aug. 29th) – Weekly Yoga Sessions –Alyeska Resort is hosting a series of 75-minute Vinyasa flow yoga sessions. Vinyasa flow links breath and movement, strengthening and opening the body while calming the mind. In case this beautiful mountain scenery has been leaving you short of breath, our Vinyasa sessions can assist in restoring balance.
- Aug. 19th-20th – Alyeska Resort Blueberry Festival – This year we will be celebrating our 10th year of this family-oriented festival which celebrates the lush blueberry season. This was the first event I ever attended at Alyeska, so it is special to me. Who doesn’t enjoy a good pie-eating contest?
The resort and this specific location in Alaska hold many adventures, not only for me but for everyone who travels our way. What working at Alyeska Resort and living in Girdwood means to me is that I will not be suffocating between the barren walls of a cubicle, writing about things that do not inspire me.
Rembrandt said, “Choose only one master –Nature.” And that is what I intended to do; to showcase all the amazing activities/events/amenities Alyeska Resort has to offer, encourage visitors and Alaskans to come visit us soon and often, but most of all get people outside to learn from the master.